Warwick Week Two
Agenda of our Warwick meeting/Skype call, Tuesday, January 9th, 2018
(1) Quick update from Colin
(a) Jan 2018 volunteer group starting mid-January
- The individuals (and group) will be working both on transcription and on the new community C17th Textiles, Garments & Dyestuffs glossary we have created from scratch since December 24th 2017
- Would you like some contact with this group? If so, how and when?
(b) Finding aid for deponents in HCA 13/53
(2) Your experience of transcribing over the break - a couple of minutes from each of you
- What worked? What didn't?
- What online paleographical help have you used (MarineLives or other)?
- Did you work with your assigned partner? Was that helpful?
(3) Review and improve whatever you have done over the holidays
- Let's all see if we can improve your work. Tricky words? Capitalisation? Latinate expressions?
(4) Let's work together on some new pages
- We propose we work today on a couple from HCA 13/68, where handwriting is very clear
They have already been transcribed, which is fine, since you can look at transcriptions later.
Assignments to take us to our next meeting
For our next session, which will take place Tuesday 23 January, 4-6pm we would like you all to transcribe a document from HCA 13/72 a volume of depositions from 1657-59. At the very least transcribe one page, but preferably two. Please upload your transcripts to the webpage, and use square brackets to highlight any words/phrases that you're having difficulty with.
Save your work relatively frequently!
1:1 Skype support available from Colin, whenever you need it
Please, please, please reach out by email to set up 1:1 Skype time with Colin, as and when it is useful, or alternatively reach for Ben.
Better to talk through transcription problems early, it saves a lot of time later